Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Meter Date Showing larger peak current in one phase

Redskinsdb21

Mining
May 4, 2009
US
Hello All,

I have a question. I have a meter that is showing the peak current in phase B to be double that of peak current phase A & C. Does anyone know what may cause this? In phase B its 190 Amps approximately while in A * C the peak was about 95.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is the meter showing the energization current of a transformer? One phase is often subject to DC offset and that may be almost as much as 2 times the other phase peaks.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

bacon4life (Electrical)22 Oct 24 16:12
Do you have reason to think the loads are balanced across phases? Perhaps there is twice as much load connected to B phase?

Do you think its possibly due to imbalanced loads? The value is approximately 50 Amp peak in phases A & C but 100 in phase B. However, the averages for the last month are about the same for all 3 phases.

waross (Electrical)22 Oct 24 16:33
Is the meter showing the energization current of a transformer? One phase is often subject to DC offset and that may be almost as much as 2 times the other phase peaks.

I looked and did not see anywhere the meter may be showing energization current of Xfmr. The DC offset would take place during energization only correct?

Is this single family residential?
Multi family residential?
Commercial?
Industrial?
Utility meter or customer owned meter?
What type of loads?
What type of peak meter? eg: Instantaneous reading or demand reading?

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Back