Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Method for molding areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

El_Paben

Industrial
Sep 11, 2023
FR
Hello everyone,

Currently we’re working on CREO in plastic injection parts & molds and are planning to switch to NX.
To make the mold parts we use the plastic part and perform a « substraction » using all the faces we need. With this method we can do minimal changes on the plastic parts and the substracted model can be updated without any issue.

We’re looking for the best way to do this kind of work with NX and I wonder if those are native functions or in a special licence ? Is there any unit that could be useful ?

Thanks already for your help and have a nice day !

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can do almost any operation for moldmaking using a "regular modeling license" but, there is also the NX Mold Wizard application which , probably will do the job 10 times faster.
I have not touched moldwizard since ~2004 but it was impressive already then.

Request a thorough demonstration from somebody who knows it in detail.

Regards,
Tomas

The more you know about a subject, the more you know how little you know about that subject.

Thank you for the answer.

Could someone who knows a little more about this module on the latest versions tell us a little more about this module in order to confirm or not the interest of such a module for the creation of a molding part and the design of a mold ?

NX2206

Thank's

Is everything on YouTube? There are no help or other documents to help you learn?
We are considering testing this module, but how can we be sure to test it correctly and not miss things?

The simple nx bundle could make a lot of stufs, i work with molds and don't use moldwizard.
the subtraction way depends if your part is simple or not. i prefer the aproach of extract faces of each side, model the split surface, and afeter sew in a solid block.
The tool "Check regions" is a good add-on for moldmaking

Gelson Z. Nicoletto
V.18-NX2206

View as many videos as you can find and also read the Siemens description for Mold Wizard. Of course with any solid modeler you can manually perform boolean operations but the real value is in the tools made specifically for mold design. Such as placing ejector pins in a core block...the software will add the hole with clearance in the core block, add the hole and counterbore in the ejector retainer plate and create the ej pin. Designing many ej pins, core pins, holes, slide assemblies, etc-, is very time consuming but NX is good at this. Mold templates are customizable and it will generate a complete bill of materials for you. If you design many molds I recommend taking a good look at NX Mold Wizard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back