Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Method of crimping/deforming an alloy

Status
Not open for further replies.

legepe

Mechanical
Sep 19, 2023
GB
I want to devise/make a hand tool that “ideally” is as cost effective as possible to produce
The tool needs to squash an aluminum crimp/or the like, into a symmetrical shape ie an oval, at the same time locking within it, wire rope
The tool will need to be small with a maximum size, to fit within an average sized hand
It will need to squash/deform a softish metal ie aluminum without any excessive force on the input but provide maximum force on the output
After researching what methods would be most practical for this purpose, I have come up with a screw/gear type design to create the required force
Please see attached sketch
The gear ratio of 1-30 is literally a guess of what would be acceptable, and I would think that some sort of planetary gear system would work, but I am struggling to find a suitable gear that I could buy to create a prototype
Ive tried several crimping tools, but they do not create the final symmetrical shape that I need to achieve. Ive also taken drills and impact wrenches apart, to see what gearing systems they use, and if I can use or replicate them somehow, but the gear ratios seem to be very much less to what I would need
I would appreciate anyone’s thoughts and advice on this, and, if you think there is an easier way to accomplish this, or if you already know of a product that is available to buy, and/or to modify
Thanks very much for any advice
legepe

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=a2d04ba5-3806-49dd-9aef-e76b245aa296&file=Crimping_tool.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may need to describe, or think through, how to react the torque from a 30:1 handheld contraption - what resists this reaction? Even if it is powered with a portable drill motor, there will be some high handle forces. You need to think it through or describe it better.

Maybe something along the lines of a hose crimper would accomplish this task.

Thanks for your input dvd
I understand that there will be significant forces within the gearing system and it will need to be made to withstand them, also certain safety aspects may need to be in place within the gearbox design to not over stress it
Ive looked at a lot of different types of crimping methods, and I have a 10ton hydraulic crimper which will deform an aluminium crimp similar to what is shown in the (attached pic)
Here I have used a 24mm nut and bolt to test how it deforms the crimp using moderate force with a spanner and rachet
To keep production costs as low as possible I think a screw method would be best, unless someone thinks and can advise different
It would also, need to be kept as small and compact as possible, and to make it easier for the user, gearing needs to be incorporated (not sure if it should be 30:1 though, or even if 30:1 is even possible?)
If anyone can advise on what ratio of gears would be needed, or if you think this is not possible/practical please let me know

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=3896e025-2660-408a-a01f-2c7fa48f33c9&file=Nut_and_bolt.jpg
You need to indicate the force which needs to be developed and the stroke to open and close your crimping dies. At a 30:1 ratio, that is possibly a lot of revolutions of the wheel by an operator. In general, operators do not like to turn a wheel, say, 60 revolutions (each way) to make one part. I do not personally think you have a solid concept. Have you researched crimpers and swagers?

Yes I have looked at a lot of crimpers, and swagers, but the only one that can come close to what I want is the hydraulic crimper
I have no way to measure the force required, but as you can see in the previous pic, the compression of the nut and bolts causes roughly the same as my 10 ton hydraulic crimper. The crimping dies are simply slotted in and can be removed simply by turning the screw counter clockwise releasing the tension
What I have posted is for a prototype only and to see if it can actually be done with a screw/gearing method, I can possibly incorporate a motor thereafter
I just need advice mainly around the gearing, or where I can find high reduction gears - (ideally planetary) that may be incorporated already in some other type of device or tool that I could strip for its gears could even be an option

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=3896e025-2660-408a-a01f-2c7fa48f33c9&file=Nut_and_bolt.jpg
Op
There are small hydralic presses with calibrated dial that can measure the force in metric or english.
It would be easy to experiment and test
The force required and the results.
I believe the mechanical advantage to be more compact will be hydralc.
Gearing is for transferring shaft torque and rotation such as a hand drill or grinder. There are hand operated hand press that use mechanical advantage with a long handle and a rack and pinion.
And are very reasonable to purchase.

Op
An other way to test for the actual force would be in a met lab. Using a
Tensile and compression tester..
Test and record the compression force
Required to crimp.

Not understanding why you aren't modifying a commercially available product to produce your special crimp. Why are you reinventing the complete method and tooling? It all seems too complicated for no reason.

If you are aware of a commercially available product that I can modify then please let me know, I havent found one, bear in mind I want the ability with it to shape it into various shapes and not just crimp it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back