Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Methods for non destructive test/survey of basalt rebar in concrete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fearghusq

Structural
Apr 20, 2011
AU
Does anyone know of a non destructive method for the detection of Basalt reinforcing bar in bridge deck slabs?
Have tried with GPR with no success.
Obviously standard NDT methods such as resistivity or magnetic will not work....
Have contacted several basalt rebar manufacturers who were unable to provide any further help on the matter.
Basalt is non metallic, has a density similar to concrete (2500kg/m3) and non conductive...
I welcome all and any suggestions.
Many Thanks
Fearghus

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First I had heard of it. Seems it is a rock and resin composite. Not being able to verify its existence would seem to be a deterrent from using it.

Your best bet at this point would be radiography. Even though the densities are similar between the rebar and concrete, the composite rebar will give a different signature on a film image.

You have access to both sides of the section, so shouldn't be an issue to do it. It will be expensive, depending on how large of an area you want to check and how many areas you want to check.

Hokie66 its an emerging technology it the late stages of reserach and development for bridge deck use. It has been used in some buildings in corrosive environments, but does require stringent site supervision to ensure proper placement.

Thanks Ron
That is an excellent suggestion. I will have to look into the cost of or existence of such apparatus and its availability locally in UK/Ireland. I was under the impression the apparatus for radiography (in terms of testing steel sections at least) was immobile... Have you came across a portable device?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back