Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Methods/technologies for cleaning of moulding tools ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bipp

Materials
Jun 15, 2005
PT
Dear members,

I am concerned about some issues related to injection moulding of rubber. I mean surface appearance and mould cleaning from time to time.
Usually, how many cicles does a injection mould stands assuring a good surface finish of the products?
What kind of methods/technologies are commonly applied for cleaning of moulding tools?

Many thanks

Bipp

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is no particular rule of thumb for amount of cycles for cleaning injection rubber molds. That is influenced by the type of rubber, the type of cure system, process aids, mold releases, temperature of cure and mostly by how you define "good surface finish."
The most common ways to clean a mold are grit blasting the cold mold with plastic grit (to reduce damage to original surface), chemical/solvent cleaning (cold mold), and by blasting the hot mold in the press with crystalized CO2 pellets.

Hi,

We produce a tool that can be used to clean injection molds. It is a Plasma Pen. The pen is portable and can be used where ever you have a source of compressed air. It cleans using gas plasma and gets rid of all of the organic materials.

Please see our website for additional information. I'd also be glad to answer any questions you may have regarding this.

Carole Levers 951-371-2500 x 243

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back