Methods to test thermal resistance of cold plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanosSSCS

Mechanical
Sep 16, 2020
US
Hello all,

I'm looking to get experimental values for thermal resistance of an Aluminum cold plate. Currently, trying to gather ideas of simple experimental set ups to validate theoretical data. I am having a hard time coming up with a way to supply a steady wattage to the system.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

best,

Canos

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Electric heaters are very good at providing very precise power by controlling current and voltage. Your problem is more likely heat losses. This is generally done by surrounding your experiment with "guard" rings and plates that are heated to maintain the same temp as your hot plate.

You are trying to measure thermal conductivity. There is plenty of literature about how such instruments are deigned.

See ASTM C1363-19 Standard Test Method for Thermal Performance of Building Materials and Envelope Assemblies by Means of a Hot Box Apparatus

It's intended for building walls and ceilings etc. but would likely work just fine for your case as well. If not, it should provide guidance.

Thank you for the replies guys!

I figured I could add a little more context - I have the ability to control fluid at a set temperature. Hence, I was thinking to loop two cold plates, one plate being the heat load maintaining fluid temp, and the second would have stick-on temp sensors. I would then set a control value for time elapsed after exposure to fluid temp, and experiment with different flow rates to characterize thermal conductivity and inversely, thermal resistance.

Let me know your thoughts.

Best,

Canos

Hello all,

How do we feel about the calculations on the image below to calculate Thermal resistance during transient states? Please let me know if anything looks off. I'd be tracking fluid temp, plate temp, and time.

Resis.th_dlcycj.jpg
Resis.th_dlcycj.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back