Metrial selection in Instrumentation 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masoud280

Electrical
Aug 1, 2013
IR
Dear Frineds

I am instrumentation engineer.I need some quick guide to know material properties against temperature,pressure,corossion and errosion in OIL and GAS production.Most of the time I supposed to evalute a bidder offer which has deviation from our requested data sheet in material for different parts of valves,instruments and so on.

regards
masoud

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Masoud280;
Based upon your other questions on this forum related to materials, I would suggest you accept no deviation and work with the materials specified from your data sheet. Evaluating material options requires expertise which is not easily learned or gathered over an internet forum. If a vendor submits options for alternative materials, either indicate you will not accept or hire a firm that can assist you to evaluate materials each project.

Dear metengr

I know it requires an experties and it could not be learn only on single froum and some messaging here. But I am after some hints to start my studies to understand basic concepts and aquire enough knowldge to evalute materials options by bidders.Of course meanwhile I will use our company metrial dept. However I want to prepare myself for project management so I shall extend my knowladge in this field as i feel weekpoint there.
So any hints to start would be highly apperciated.

[ignore][/ignore]

best regards
Masoud

I say this a lot: take metengr's advice and have substitution proposals evaluated by a firm with an experience materials engineer if you need to approve materials substitution requests from vendors. You can easily get into serious trouble without the proper experience and there may well be factors you did not consider that would lead to catastrophic failure. (In my case, it always helped that I primarily functioned as a failure engineer as I made substitution decisions based on the fact I did not want to see the part in my lab a few years down the line!)

Besides the book, I suggest you consider taking the ASM course also titled Metallurgy for the Non-Metallurgist. This will give you a deeper understanding and is available in a variety of forms, including on-line.

Dear friends
A question Ineed a transmitter to be SS316 inwetted parts but bidder offers me SS316 L ss is it acceptable? How does differe these materials?

best regards
Masoud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back