Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

metric/inch 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Search the help docs for Convert Part
since posting the steps would bee much too long.

John Joyce
Manufacturing Engineer
Senior Aerospace CT

i have a file that measures in english in drafting, or when doing an analysis
but when i draw geometry it is in metric?
i have been away from UG a while
not sure how to correct this?

Menu -> Analysis -> Units (insert current selection of units here) -> Units Manager might be a good place to start if the measurement units are what you're stating are incorrect - if it's the part units, then back to ug_convert.

miked64 said:
i have a file that measures in english in drafting, or when doing an analysis
but when i draw geometry it is in metric?
i have been away from UG a while
not sure how to correct this?

Go to menu -> analysis -> units and pick lbm - in on the menu. Newly created sketches will use the unit system that you have chosen on this menu. This is handy if you need your part file in one system of units but want to specify sketch dimensions in a different system of units. For example, I recently had to model a small switch where the dimensions on the spec sheet were all metric. All of the files in my assembly are inch; not wanting to add a metric file to my assembly, I simply changed the analysis unit preference and was able to enter all of the metric dimensions directly from the spec sheet into my inch file sketches.

www.nxjournaling.com

miked64 said:
I did however not get it to change over.

Are you sure? To check go to information -> part -> loaded parts; the information window will list all the open parts and the unit system of each.

Note: the convert part utility does not convert expressions that have units associated with them. This means that if you start a metric part file and create a few sketches, the dimensions will still show as mm in the sketch editor after converting the file to inch units. If you would like to convert the expression units as well, you can make use of a journal that I wrote a while ago:

www.nxjournaling.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back