Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Metric Sizes for ASTM F1554 gr 36 Anchor Rods

Status
Not open for further replies.

pettus71

Structural
Jun 28, 2012
US
I assumed the F1554 anchor rods would be available in either imperial or metric sizes (using the F1554M designation). However, we just shifted from using imperial anchors in our project to metric sizes and after some research I can't seem to find any metric sizes available. Am I missing something? We did propose to use imperial sizes but bump the size down by an 1/8th of an inch but our client wasn't too keen on that.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you TVP.

It was not arbitrary, I just didn't give a great deal of details. We wouldn't want to go up a size since that might interfere with the client's equipment and for many of their anchors, the closest imperial equivalent is 1/8" smaller - i.e. an M80 anchor would be downsized to a 3" diameter imperial which is 1/8" smaller.

Hello. I am the General Manager at Portland Bolt. Most ASTM specifications imply inch-series diameters, with the exception of specifications such as A325M that is written for metric product. Most of the Tables in the F1554 specification deal with imperial diameters. Examples of this are TABLE 4 Axial Tensile Properties for Full-Size Anchor Bolts and TABLE 5 Minimum Body Diameter. However, TABLE 3 Tensile Properties for Bars and Machined Specimens, offers metric equivalents for diameters and MPa for strength requirements. Therefore, one could assume that metric sized F1554 anchor bolts could be provided. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any domestic anchor bolt manufacturers that are currently producing metric sized F1554 anchor bolts on a regular bases. We ship F1554 anchor bolts outside of the country on a regular basis and often perform a soft conversion from metric to imperial diameters when the customer allows, rounding UP to the nearest eighth inch increment.

BoltExpert, thank you very much for your response and expertise. I guess we will have to rework our specification and look to international vendors in order to obtain the correct anchor rods

"in order to obtain the correct anchor rods ..."

No, "in order to get the metric size anchor bolts our paperwork rules say we must get."

Subtle, but important, difference. His anchor bolts would be "correct" but just not allowed under your company's paperwork.

No, "correct" is the word I would use to describe the anchor rods that my client (who pays for them) wants. We tried the soft conversion route and if they have their reasons to want exact metric sizes then I will (and must) respect it. In other words, the "correct" choice is always what the client wants as long as it is safe and offers them a benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back