Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MG-6 Relays 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzzp

Electrical
Nov 21, 2001
US
Are the old multi-contact MG-6 relays still being specified? Is there something a little more modern (smaller) which can be used to replace the MG-6? This is 6 contacts rated for 30A for 1 minute (@12VDC) and 3A@125VDC for one minute. Continuous rating is 12A. Thanks for any suggestions.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I realize these are still made by several different companies although they have different part numbers. However, these relays are unbelievably huge. The same contact rating can be had in a much smaller package. For example, protective relay contacts have the same rating as the MG-6 relays. I believe what makes finding a replacement so difficult is the number of contacts available. If anyone can identify one of these it would be great. In the meantime, I will continue my search.

This type of component is very conservatively rated and intended to be maintainable for long-life, high-reliability tripping duty. That, and they are intended to be used with tools like a diamond contact burnisher.

Typical application is with groups of single-function electromechanical protective relays like KD- or HU-series. Space-age, compact, sealed capabilities are not prime requirements for these devices.

For basic switchgear applications, something like an E-max Instruments assembly may do the work with similar reliability but using less panel space.

Thats why I want to replace the MG-6, panel space. As far as long term maintainence, not a real big concern since, historically, these units have only tripped about 15 times in 50 years. Although, this does not mean it won't in the future. Unfortunatley, what I have found so far does not look real promising. I will check with Emax and see what they have but I think I will be stuck with the big MG-6 or similar. Thanks.

Suggestion: DC contacts are normally oversized because of the detrimental effect of DC arcs. However, even if the contacts are oversized, contact pitting is still there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back