Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Micrologix1400 Ethernet to host comm

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrcooper

Electrical
Aug 31, 2011
US
I haven't done an AB Micrologix project for maybe 5 or 6 years now, and in fact my copy of RSLOGIX500 doesnt even support the 1400...updated software on order.

But after doing some looking around, reading AB manuals....fun eh?

What I have for this project is the Micrologix1400 connected to a host system via Ethernet. I need to run something on my PC to emulate the host, sending parameters to the program running in the 1400. Basically it will be some commands that are bit oriented..ie..turn on a light, motor, etc. Others will be numerical values such as weights of material. So is there some software package (freeware would be nice) that I can send data. That brings up the second part...how does the 1400 actually get data? Thru the MSG command? Sample programming might be helpful.

The other item I am controlling is over the RS485 and those are Powerflex VFD units (2 of them) where I need to send on/off and speed settings. Are there any doc's that describe how this interface works as well?

I've been immersed in Koyo programming for the last several years so I apologize if this is a simple question...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need a software program called a driver to communicate with the MicroLogix. The protocol is call EtherNet/IP. I do not know of any that are free, however several do offer trail periods. Two that I know of are Kepserver and Matricon (sp?). You can then through a bit of Excel programming use Excel to recieve and send data. Also these drivers usually ship with a small client program that you can also use.

The usual middleware between an HMI or batch control software package and the controller is called an "OPC Server". Matrikon, Software Toolbox, Kepware, and of course Rockwell Software all make them. Alternately, you could go with a program like AdvancedHMI or the Inductive Automation Ignition Panel Edition that will build HMI screens and handle the driver layer themselves.

You don't need to write any code in the MicroLogix controller to accept messages from an HMI package. While I do recommend designating a specific data file to serve as the HMI interface memory, you don't have to write an "receive MSG" instructions or make any specific settings to data files. By default, all MicroLogix data files are read/write.

MicroLogix 1100/1400 via Modbus to PowerFlex 4-series drives is a standard feature of the "Connected Components" example set for RA. There will be examples in the RA Knowledgebase and there's a "Connected Components Accelerator" DVD with example code on it too.

I still prefer to have my Start/Stop hardwired to MicroLogix/SLC/PLC controllers because they don't have a true I/O connection over Ethernet like ControlLogix-family controllers do.

Thanks for all the replies. I did do a project using Automation Direct Koyo with the Ethernet module...thinking that the trial software I had for it might work. I agree Eddie...start/stop is hardwired. The data from the Ethernet is information to set the speed of a conveyor, as well as to increment a position change on some equipment. They will also use it to generate reports. I'll look into these suggestions after our US holiday this weekend.

Again thanks

Very cool...watched the video, looks like this may indeed give me what I need. I'm not 100% clear if it can PUSH data into the PLC over ethernet, but I'm going to assume it can I'll just need to play around with it some in order to validate that part, unless you can tell me for sure that it can.

OK I'm back on this project. I have a cross over ethernet cable connected between the PC and the Micrologix1400. I downloaded the DHCP/BOOTP Utility and I was able to set the IP address, and the utility does see the MAC address, so assumption is that its connected, yet pinging the IP address from the command window finds the host is unreachable.

Changing the connection to static or BOOTP doesnt seem to make a difference.

Any thoughts?

Once you have set the IP address of the ml1400 make sure that you then change your pc's local area connection IP address to one that is on the same network as the ml1400. For example, set the ml1400=192.168.1.10 subnet 255.255.255.0 then computer will need to be set to 192.168.1.xxx, not 10, and same subnet mask. You should be able to ping after this.
Also enable or disable bootp will just enable/disable to ml1400 from broadcasting its mac id and ip(if set).

OK, of course I should have known that...so thanks for pointing that out. Got it to work, with the HMI program. Its nice to be moving forward!

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back