Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Front Page, Yahoo Hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlPugh

Electrical
Jul 16, 2002
Designed web site a few years ago using Microsoft Front Page 2000.
Just changed web site host to Yahoo Small Business. Yahoo doesn't use Front Page and am having problems transferring web site.
Does anyone have any experience transferring web site to Yahoo? (Including a Microsoft Excel spread sheet)
Also if later decide to transfer web hosting to site that uses Front Page, will there be problems?
Does anyone have any experience with Yahoo hosting?

Thanks
Carl Pugh

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Carl,

In general, the lack of Frontpage extensions on the host server yields problems in the following areas:

* Forms processing (although you can still use FrontPage to design forms, and use a Perl or other CGI script to process the form)
* Themes
* Search form
* Bulletin board
* Security
* The hit counter
* SubWebs
* Database features

There will not be any problem if you go back to a host with Frontpage extensions once you get your site working on Yahoo. The extensions only add; they don't take away.

Bill Marzich
Buckeye Engineering Services & Technologies, Inc.

Bill Marzich
Buckeye Engineering Services & Technologies, Inc.

Although I haven't tried it, Yahoo does support Frontpage publishing. Personally I would use an FTP client such as Cute or WS. Some of their packages don't support Perl or PHP so check what your needs are. If it's just static Html then you'll have no problems.

Good Morning:

I am hoping for some help with Front Page.
I wish to share files with my company employees, and plan on having the files hosted by whoever hosts the company web site. I have accessed the hosting company with password etc, but cannot, with Front Page 98, transfer the files over. I was able to create on the web site a folder into which to place the files, but the files themselves would not transfer over.

I am using Windows 98 and Front Page 98. Do I need a newer version of Front Page? Also, If I do purchase it, will it work with Windows 98? Thanks, John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back