Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Microsoft Project 2000 - Days not translating correctly!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mperr97

Computer
Dec 25, 2002
US
I just starting using Microsoft Project 2000, I have a project plan and need to include baseline hours, estimated hours, and actual hours on a project. Is there a way to do all of this and still only calculate the actual number of hours worked?

I entered all of my information into Project and placed a new column called "work" for hours worked so far. When I place a number of hours worked, The number of days is not translating correctly. The days are staying at 1 day. Does anyone know how to fix my number of days?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why a new column? Can't you use the percent complete feature for each task? For example, if you have Task 1 planned and baselined to take 40 hours (5 days at 8h/day based on your project calendar), when 20 hours are used update the plan to show 50% complete. If you have spent 20 hours and are only 10% complete (typical) then you need to stretch out the task to about 200 hours (10 time 10 hours) and show 10% complete. The baseline that you saved will stay at 40 hours planned for the task, as incriminating evidence of your poor planning. MS project has anticipated all the simple jobs like planned actual and forecast hours, as well as some of teh more complicated ones. If you have to add columns you are probably getting off track.

Maybe you're unclear on the insertion of columns.

If you pick any column and right-click, the context menu includes insert column. The dialog box that comes up has the first entry of "Field Name". If you select the pulldown list, and scroll to the top, you'll find entries for Actual Start, Actual Work, % Complete, % Work Complete, etc.

TTFN

That helped thanks for answering me.

One more question, I added three columns:
1.) work
2.) actual work
3.) remaining work

When I place the actual hours worked, Project rounds the numbers. For instance I place 262 actual hours and when I go to the next line, Project takes the 262 and changes it to 262.08. Is there a way to make Project except only what I place in the actual work column so that the remaining hours is correct? Any help is greatly appreciated.

The only way that seems to happen is if you don't have a duration entered. The duration is the actual amount of work time allocated to the task and should be equal to or greater than the amount of work scheduled, unless you've allocated sufficient resources to cover the work in a shorter time span.

Usually, if you allocate resources, Project will calculate the duration for you.

TTFN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back