Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Quick Basic to Visual Basic conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocloner

Computer
Feb 24, 2003
US
Hi,
I'm new to the site and new to Visual basic 6. I realize that there are significant differences between the programs. My problem is that I have developed a lot of basic code and would like to use some of it in the VB environment. Does anyone have any programs that would make conversion easier. Syntax checking, suggested VB equivelents, etc.
Thanks in advance for any help you could provide,
ocloner

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Almost every thing in QB will work in VB6, except
Input-Output From-To the screen.

But there are much more functions in VB6, I.E. to validate a date just use IsDate(myDate$).

I sugest you to read the VB6 help

Although I admire the optimism shown, and I don't want to p**s on your fireworks, the task may be rather more than that.

QB is based on sequential code, keyboard input and text output

VB6 is based on event-driven procedural code, mouse/keyboard input and graphical output

Although small snippets of code can be (fairly) easily translated, the whole shape of the program and layout will (should) be vastly different.

Start with a good book on Beginners VB to get your head round event-driven code before you start your task. I guess you'll find it easier to start from square one, and only aim to translate any clean functions or subroutines into VB

I converted a QB application to VB 5.0 and except for some functions and procedures, nothing was useable. I can say that the redisign of the interface was much easier than it was in QB.

I do programming for a hobby and am a novice but I'm pretty sure you cfan salvage some of the code but not all.

Good day
Gerald Austin
Iuka, Mississippi

I also once converted a QB application to VB6.0 and it did not work straight away. The QB application code had to be broken up into event procedures that were either called by the user or a timer.

I teach VB6 and I agree with the last three posts. You will in reality only be able to convert some functions and subroutines. The logic flow and event driven code are quite differnt. The enviroment is also much different. The learning curve may be a bit frustrating in the beginning going from Quick Basic to VB6. If you don't have anyone to help then you must be patient and expect things to be a little tough in the begining. If you stick with it you will find VB6 very powerful and worth the effort. VB.Net is another level and if you really are going to make the jump consider going all the way. Read some books on object oriented programming first if you are going to vb.net.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back