Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MicroStation - tif files

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeeit

Civil/Environmental
Sep 9, 2002
US
How can I load tif files into MS georefernced??

Is the tfw fie necessary??

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you saying you can't use the normal pull down function in MicroStation?
Did you try the type in commands:

RASTER ATTACH FIXED

***OR***

RASTER ATTACH INTERACTIVE

Hope this helps!

Thanks Rich. I will definitely try that.

So when do I type/use that command??

Basically I tried pulling it into MS by (reference - attach file). My file looked the same afterwards, I zoomed out looking for the tif.

I guess I will type in that command after I do the (ref - attach).

I was thinking, that to pull in the tif (aerial) I would need to type in some numbers somewhere so MS would know where it goes and then I could see it in my file. Is this true?? How do I get the coordinates to type them in??

Joe,
When the "reference dialog box" (via pull down from FILE) comes up change the filter from "design file" to Raster".
There should be 4 pull downs on the "REF Dialog Box". Pick the last pull down called "Display". Change it to "raster".

Then choose from the "REF Dialog Box" still ... TOOLS>ATTACH>INTERACTIVE

(The type in command should get you to this point as well, anyway follow the next step, which ever one you chose)

Pick the TIFF image and attach normally.

as for the coordinates...

Before clicking the DATA point or left clicking on the screen ... click in the "key in box".

type

xy=(your coordinates for the 1st point)
enter
xy=(your coordinates for the 2nd point)
enter

Interactive image is what you want to input coordinates. But you'll still have difficulty becuase the coordinates will respond the corners of the image (picture) file. So if there's a border or offset on the image you may not get the precision your after unless you compensate for it.

I hope I've answered your question.

Rich, I heard the tfw is a file with the geocoordinates of the tiff file.

All I need is to load the tiff into MS so I can view the aerial at the right location.

Thank you much.

Joe

Hi
To see the raster in the right location, you have to place the raster in the right location. For that you have to georeference the tiff file on the drawing file. Cad Overlay can be used to georeference your raster and it will create tfw files automatically.

Hpoe it helps
AB

I've set a couple of raster images over CADD files for background/digitizing purposes, and have not yet found any easy way to do it. If I don't have the exact size of the image, I simply attach it. Now, in order for this to work, you have to have an object on the CADD file that corresponds to an object on the raster file.

Using the Raster Move command, line up one corner of the objects and use the Active Scale Distance command to set your active scale to the difference between them.

Draw a line between opposite corners of you raster image (line them up by eye) and scale the line with your active scale. Then use Raster Modify to scale the raster to the line (by modifying the corner of the raster to the end of the scaled-up line).

Go back and Raster Move the image to line up again with the object on CADD. Iterate until you are satisfied with the fit.

If anyone knows an easier or more precise way of doing this, please let me know.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back