Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

microstation v8i gis tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremyk55

Civil/Environmental
Jun 14, 2005
US
I recently used v8i to reference gis shape files and it worked well but I had one problem. Some of the data was on a different coordinate system and had to be reprojected the the coordinate system of the master file. It came in correct, but when I closed the file and opened it later, the data was back in its original position. I then repeated and tried "save settings" but that did not work. Am I missing something?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

jeremyk55,
When you save settings is Reference Orientation set as Geographic Reprojected? see attached image

I can not recreate your problem. Here is a tutorial I did on youtube there might be something for you in the video.

Otherwise we have a manual on Geographic tools in V8i SS1.

HTH,
Bob Mecham

Training | Consulting | Programming
Facebook: Twitter:

I worked as cad admin for a gas pipeline for the last 12 or so years which allowed me to see the power of both cadd and gis working together. what we used primarily was of course esri 9.* db was oracle , xm and a tool-set from a company called blue marble - geographic desktop , most larger fortune 500 type companies like the one I work for know of this company "Blue Marble" but some may not , the reason I bring it up is that if you have multiple resultant projections coming in as example different state DOT(s) and survey contractors reaching agreement a common projection/datum is critical from the start and this has often been overlooked in the heat of a bid set on a pipe expansion that millions $$$$$$$ lost in possible . By far my users 20-30+ most times all love blue marble calculator not just because they where familiar with it but also the training was excellent (not that ERIS isn't) but you cannot beat the cost .ESRI can do all the re -projections as well but requires someone who would be considered a senior gis analsyt who should be involved withh SDE duties or wrting arc objects not redoing re-projections in my opinion! not a cheap option plus frankly is is, from what I have seen, not for the 3-5 year gis person, check it out my guys swear by it

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=ddd09fd9-fcd8-4e85-8735-30c87a8619a8&file=gis.doc
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back