Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microstrainer for algae removal 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipp79

Civil/Environmental
Nov 3, 2006
GB
Does anyone have experience in the design of microstrainer for algae removal from a lake water source. Specifically, any guidance on an appropriate mesh size. The supplier I'm in contact with can supply a 10 micron mesh. However, there may be problems with clogging with such fine a mesh. Any help appreciated!

Jim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Disc filters, sand filters, screen filters....as you mentioned all could have problems with clogging depending on the amount and type of algae.

Given it is a lake it might be a better idea to look at putting in systems to stop in growing in the first place as apposed to systems to remove it.

A sand filter dual type could work, that is a filter with 2 layers, one of sand (small size) one of antracite (bigger size) This provide high solids storage capacity and reduce the risk of clogging.

Cheers for replies so far.

The solids load based on algae removal alone is 18mg/l (chlorophyll a x 0.2, Twort) and it is for a 2.5Ml/d works. It is municipal supply and after the microstrainer is slow sand filtration.

I guess your algae is seasonal? If so something like DAF as Bimr suggests can be switched on an off much easier than sand filters or diskfilters, but if you use polymer, be careful not to get carry over ontyo your SSF's. Disk filters are ok, but you I certainly wouldn't use 10 micron, 20 will give you a longer life. With disk filters you will need to carry out a chemical clean (phosphoric or hydrocholic acid followed by hypochorite) a coule of times a year. Disk filters would need to be sized 150% of max flow as performance can decrease quite quickly and limit your supply.
Have you thought about a small ozone plant up stream of a rapid filter or strata sand filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back