Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microstrip electrical length

Status
Not open for further replies.

bomber6a

Electrical
Sep 9, 2003
US
Hi, we are setting up a incoming inspection test for an antenna. We will be checking VSWR using a HP4291A Impedance Analyzer. We have created a fixture and I deisnged a microstrip that goes in the fixture to connect the antenna to the HP4291A.

We need to know the electrical length of the microstrip that I designed. The texts that I used as reference to design it only mention Effective Length while using a transmission line model. Is the Effective Length the same as the electrical length?

Anyone know a procedure for measuring the electrical length of a microstrip?

Regards,
Dan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The electrical length changes with frequency for microstrip. Higher frequencies are electrically longer or they travel slower. Normal measurement of length is from a vector network analyzer where you calibrate S21, then hook up your cable and measure in time domain mode how long the effective pulse takes to get to the other port. Using the time domain feature of the analyzer can get you the amount of electrical delay in the microstrip. But if your antenna (or material being tested) is wide bandwidth, then the time it takes the energy to travel changes with frequency. Alternately, after you calibrate for S21 and attach your item there is a button on the display to add "electrical delay" length to the test result. Measuring phase you can set this electrical length value to make the phase read zero degrees and then just reading the value you entered into electrical delay. Look up "electrical delay" in the Agilent/HP manuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back