Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Mid-level Career Advice for a Civil/Structural Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbookz

Structural
Oct 19, 2005
US
I'm looking for some career advice from my fellow professional engineers. I am at a bit a crossroads. I have 9+ years of experience as a building structural engineer for a small/mid sized (20-30) local one office company. I have learned a lot with this company, progressing from EIT straight out of school to a project engineer and PE, but it has been a bumpy road at times. This is the type of small company environment where you are tested early and often, have to learn through trial and error and go from being a helper to a project manager very quickly within a year and a half in my case (for smaller projects). We design everything - wood, concrete, PT, steel, light gauge, masonry etc. QA/QC is spotty at best and there are not many standard procedures to rely on. That being said, the management are good people and there are a few quality mentor engineers to learn from. One thing I have seen, and this probably is industry wide, is that engineers are required to do and know more and more. Being a mid level engineer at this company is a high pressure job and one that lately is taking a toll on me. The mid level engineers do all their own design and drafting, write their own specs, cost estimates, do most of the QA/QC for their projects on their own without much oversight. When I started I supported other mid-level engineers who had plenty of drafting support as well - but now we are on our own and the company seems reluctant to ever hire a drafter again. The few people that get design or drafting help are 20+ year engineers who know little CAD and even they are having to come along. The quality control will not get any better and we have been expanding a little more rapidly lately without a very clear plan in my opinion. I don't see much future promotion potential where I am.

So, all that being said despite my stubborn loyalty and low tolerance for risk - I'm still young at 31 and their are a world of opportunities out there, so I am thinking it is time for a change. I have many skills and am always willing to learn. The problem is that in my area (a prominent mid-atlantic east coast state)structural building engineering is a fairly narrow company selection and on top of this I feel like I need a break from structural design. I just don't like having to design for life safety in an industry with what seems like perpetually narrowing margins = increasing workloads and tighter schedules. Work for the big construction management companies seems like long hours, a lot of travel and low pay.

It seems like civil (erosion sediment control and state mandated storm water management is huge here)engineers have more opportunities both in the public and private sector. I'm reviewing my hydrology and state stormwater regulations on my own time. I am looking for possible work in the public (state, local, $$ federal) sector. At the same time, I don't want to take a big pay cut and start again as I am married, own a home and am planning to start a family (so many changes). So, really I don't know what to do. There is a small chance that I could transfer to the civil side within my own company, but they have invested in me as a structural engineer and I don't think they would want me to do that. So, I will continue looking in hope that I find a good opportunity. Does anyone who has made a transition within the field have any advice for me? Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A number of years ago I was in a similar place as you appear to be. Since then, I have made the transition from private sector structural design to a few different positions in the public sector and now back to private sector structural design (after a brief stint working for a GC). In the public sector I held positions in structural engineering design (buildings, civil, and hydraulic structures), project & construction management, QA/QC, and inspection of large infrastructure. My experience with transitions into other realms outside structural engineering ultimately was not favorable but, that doesn't mean it would turn out that way for you. However, if you have a true passion for structural engineering my advice would be to stick with it for the long haul and in the private sector. Work on ways to eventually make it work for you and try to find the "world of opportunities" within structural engineering (okay, maybe that could be considered a stretch....but who knows what opportunity is around the corner?). If you do go searching for some sort of transition ask the hard questions to prospective employers. Interview them! Ask them to show you physical evidence as to how they accomplish their oversight. If you are going to be EOR/in responsible charge ask them how they are going to react when you have to tell them "no!" on some issue that is under your responsible charge. Ask them what controls you have regarding budget and schedule. Ask them how their office/agency/company culture ensures that all work product going out the door meets life safety standards and/or pertinent standards/criteria/law/regulations, etc. Sure, you'll scare most of them off with these types of questions (or they'll scare you off with their answers) but, you'll most likely avoid a bad employment situation in the process. Do whatever you can to ensure that you feel comfortable in the transition because you will most likely have some bumps in the road. Just try to keep the bumps small. [thumbsup2]

Piranha,

Thanks for your input. Structural engineering is work. It's not a passion, but it is a steady paycheck. I think I'm wired for something a little more creative, so I try to focus on the aspects of the job I actually like. I don't mind the problem solving part of analysis and design. I enjoy working on a team much more than having the pressure and responsibility of being a solo project manager. I don't mind drafting, modelling, writing reports, or going on site visits (inspection/gathering information for design). It's having to do it all together simultaneously that really stresses me out.

What didn't you like about working in the public sector and for a contractor?

I understand, especially about "having to do it all together simultaneously that really stresses me out". I've certainly experienced that more than once in both private and public sectors. In fact, my last public sector position was beyond ridiculous when it came to having to wear too many hats. Tested my skills though (and patience). What happens with those kind of employers though is they kill the golden goose and then move on to the next golden goose. More or less a scam. Anyway, what I didn't like about the public sector was having to fight day-in-and-day-out against corruption (within the organizations) that escalated over time into becoming very serious, such that my choice was to cave in and join "the mob" so to speak and turn a blind eye to engineering ethics and my professional code of conduct (which isn't going to happen under any circumstance). The job with the GC was never meant to be long term, they just needed a little help for a while and I helped them out. I wouldn't discount working for a good GC but watch out for GC's that push unreasonable schedules over quality and doing things right the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back