Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

midasCivil Software for bridge design

Status
Not open for further replies.

OSUCivlEng

Civil/Environmental
Jan 12, 2009
US
Does anyone have any experience using midasCivil for bridge design? Right now I use MDX, RC Pier and Conspan for most of my bridge design. They are doing a lot of marketing in Oklahoma right now and I am curios to know other people's experience with the software. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

Frankly, I tested numerous structural and FE software to find out which one addresses my needs in terms of speed, accuracy and user friednliness for my PhD project and I spent couple of months lookinf for dream sofware :D
Believe me, there's nothing like CSIBridge, you will love it instantly.

I've used it quite extensively. My thoughts are that it is a very powerful piece of software, but it's still got teething problems (particularly with the moving loads.) It can be a little un-user friendly at times as well

What sort of bridges are you intending to design? I used midas for complex structures with multiple construction stages, post-tensioning etc. but choose to use other software for simpler structures (steel girder bridges, pre-tensioned concrete girder bridges etc.)

We mostly design plate girders, steel beams, concrete slab spans and pre-stressed beams. I also haven't been able to find out much about it's ability to design substructure elements such as piers and abutments. My understanding is that you can buy one program package and use it to design all the components of a bridge.

I don't really want to spend that much money on something that still has some problems.

We have been using LARSA and LUSUS in my company for structural bridge design, and we are now moving to Midas Civil for FEM. We also have MDX and RC Pier, but are moving to BRD for design that doesn't require FEM. We use Midas GTS NX for geotech and are currently exploring the use of Midas Civil and GTS NX combined for soil-structure interaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back