Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MIG machine for aluminium. Cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadBeta

Industrial
Jul 22, 2004
NO
Hi,

We are going to weld a large aluminium structure for the next few week, and I have to buy a welding machine for that purpose. It is mostly 5mm plate, but some 8mm, and several meters at a time.

So far we have tried an Thermal Arc 200 GMS with spool gun, and an Lincoln Compact 280. Both do 5 mm alright, but have trouble with the thicker parts. The problem however is that they simply stop after a while.

We figure that has do with overheating or lack of sufficent cooling, and combined with the need for thicker sections we have begun to look at more industrial equipment. This is a one time job though, so we try to keep cost down. (Or secondary option to sell the machine afterwards).

I'm specifically looking at the Fronius Synergic 2700 Aluminium Edition with water cooling. Do anyone have experience with this one, or would recommend similar machines? Also, what level of cost are we talking about here?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We bought two then an additional two of the fronius 2700 machines for aluminium signcases. We are fully welding mostly 3mm aluminium outer skins, stitch welding some 6mm RHS framing and some 6mm plate. The machines handled it all very well despite some really long runs (24m+ external seams in 3mm sheet). So far, two years on, we have had no major failures with the machines, no issues with duty cycle just continuous good quality clean welds.
I personally wouldn't hesitate to go with Fronius again, for us at least it has been realy good kit at an excellent price.

That is good to hear - I'm tending strongly toward buying one. Could I ask roughly what you consider an excellent price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back