Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Mil-Hdbk 17 Queries 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stm6602

Aerospace
Sep 24, 2006
SG
Hi everyone, I'm looking for material properties for Kevlar/Aramid composites. I've looked into Mil-Hdbk 17, to find out if its available. In 17-2F, Chapter 5, I found that it is just an empty section. This 17-2F was downloaded from the internet.

I also realised that we can purchase this reference and the CD retails for around US$550/-. If anyone has the retail version, perhaps you can advise if it is complete?

In addition, Annex A in Mil-Hdbk 17 seems to be highly guarded. Is it available commercially? How do we get it officially?

Your advice will be most appreciated.

Rgds

Lee

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Kevlar/Aramid section is still empty. To date, no data for that material has been submitted to the Handbook.

from the web site: :

The Volume 2 Annex (under export control) will be available by sending a request with proper certification (DD Form 2345) to Director, U. S. Army Research Laboratory, Weapons and Materials Directorate, ATTN: AMSRL-WM-M, Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD 21005-5069.

Some preliminary data is available for an AGATE qualified material from Parker: Nelcote E765/285 4HS Kevlar 49.

You need to register to get access.

Cytec and Hexcel often include representative lamina test data in their resin datasheets, usually for carbon reinforcement, but sometimes for Kevlar, e.g. for Cycom 7714:

Occasionally you can find laminate data, but I'm not aware of any for Kevlar laminates.

There is a lack of open hole compression, as well.

Be very cautious with these sorts of data. Generally they can be used for preliminary sizing, but no more than that.

Kevlar fiber is particularly vulnerable to hot/wet conditions. Cytec's 7714 data drops from a lower bound of 25 ksi at R.T. to 15 ksi at 160 deg F, and this is (probably) not wet.

Beware of using manufacturers data. Samples are fabricated in an ideal lab environment, and are usually more "defect free" than comparable samples from a manufacturing environment. Additionally there may be process variation based on your structure, tooling and equipment that will invalidate the data provided by the manufacturer.

Wes C.
------------------------------
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back