Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MIL-HDBK-5H Specimen Size 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grindhouse

Civil/Environmental
Feb 27, 2012
GB
Hello,
I am trying to extract the percentage of elongation to put into Abaqus for a simulation of plastic failure.
Now I have found a good site (see below) which allows me to extract accurate values from the graphs within MIL-HDBK-5H however this graph plots (Stress vs Strain (in./in.)).

However, this strain value is useless without having the original specimen/sample size to give the percentages I require.

Now I've trawled through the MIL spec and for the life of me I can't find where is says the test sizes for 'Sheet' aluminium.

Can anyone shed any light on where I would find this sample size data as so far this sheet could be 2'x2' or 8'x8'?

Appreciate any assistance,
Regards,
Rob

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Grindhouse,

From MIL-HDBK-5H:

1.4.3.5 Elongation and Reduction of Area — Elongation and reduction of area are measured in accordance with specification ASTM E 8.

1.4.4.6 Elongation (e) — An additional property that is determined from the tensile test is elongation, which is a measure of ductility. Elongation is the increase in gage length, measured after fracture of the tensile specimen within the gage length, expressed as a percentage of the original gage length. Elongation is usually measured in 2 inches for rectangular tensile specimens and in 4D for round specimens, except welded specimens. See applicable material specification for specified gage length.

Hi TVP,
Thanks for that, so the original gage length is 2 inches?

Seems rather small for a test specimen or is it me?

Thanks for your help, eyesight is not what it was thats for sure!

2 inch (50 mm) gage length is one of the standards used around the world. The following consensus standards all reference a 2 inch or 50 mm gage length:

ASTM A370
ASTM E8/E8M
EN 10002 (AFNOR, BSI, DIN, UNI, etc.)
ISO 6892
JIS Z2241

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back