Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

mil std's 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

avio

Aerospace
Oct 4, 2002
BE
I am looking for a website where I can download mil standards. I already found the same question in this forum, but the sites where the answers refer to don't work. Who can help me?
Rgds,avio

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Assist Online Quicksearch Web Page you're looking for has moved. You'll find the the new address posted at the bottom of thread404-21484.

That's the one. I just clicked on the link in your post above and went straight to the web page. Don't know what the problem is...

I had a similar problem getting various military and older aerospace standards. What worked for me was to apply for a commercial account at this took a few days (over a weekend) to have established. Then I had to download the newest version of Microsoft Internet Explorer (version 6.0) in order to view the documents in the ASSIST database.

One of my favourite Military Standards:
smiletiniest.gif

There are many, even more ridiculous standards out there - the military standardizes EVERYTHING.

STF

If you had to eat that chocolate, you'd want to be sure that you got some constant minimum quality, no matter where you had it. ;-)

TTFN

Prior to having military standards, like during the Civil War, companies made lots of money selling bogus goods and materials to the Army.

The last thing you'd want for our troops are bullets that don't fly or planes that fall out of the sky for poor workmanship.

TTFN

in recent years the mil spec i find are all prefaced with a notice of discontinuance and the appropriate organization equivalent (sae, nas, etc.) that's all well and good for the military, but i have to pay for the industry standard.
mil-hdbk-5 is an awesome piece of literature. i keep it right next to "machinery's handbook."

The discontinuance is only applicable to government agencies, i.e., they are not allowed to impose an "obsolete" standard.

You, however, are not necessarily under that constraint. In some cases, the new standard is exactly the same as the mil standard, except that it's gota different cover page. The suppliers are all quite familiar with the mil standards, so imposing them is not necessarily a big burden.

TTFN

A very lucrative business, getting a summer student to re-type "AN310" and call it "NASM310", thereafter charging the public $20 bucks per copy! Nothing changed!
Watch out for scams that try to sell you documents that are in the public domain. Mil-Hdbk-5J can be purchased from IHS-Global for US$447, but from the Assist Website, you can download it for FREE!!!!![thumbsup]

NOTE: If you haven't checked within the past few months, Mil-Hdbk-5 has been updated to "J". Don't throw out your old copies, though. Sometimes certain useful pieces of information simply "disappear" from subsequent copies!

STF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back