Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mile High Tower - Yikes! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
At 5280 feet, there must be an amusement tax added to the rental space because of the "Rocky Mountain High" and an entertainment/thrill ride. - There could be pressures put on the design engineers by the owners to create a more exciting amplitude and frequency.

All jokes aside, the hotel in Dubai is amazing when you get into it and is worth the ticket price if you have to pay. - If you know a proud engineer in the area it can be free, easy and detailed. The total lack of symetry and repetition is a real engineering challenge.

Maybe the next is a high arch over the straits over the Straits of Hormuz.

Dick

Having posted in another forum about seeing wind turbine components go by on a train, I think this train also carried some steel for such a building.

There was 3 cars with some H section steel with the approximate dimensions of 24" deep with 3" or better flange and web thickness. There was also numerous cars of very thick plate in the range of 2" to 4".

On CNBC there have been several interviews of movers and shakers in that region and nearly all commented that you have seen the last of gigantic structures. The person behind the Dubai Tower said that he was just getting started.

Why am I reminded of Back to the Future 2(?), where the wrong timeline is happening...

tg

Just saw a white paper on National Geographic about Big, Bigger, and Biggest that had some info on the tower. The swaying at the top has been mitigated by the design. The design causes the wind to shed at varying degrees that keep the vortices's from forming and causing the building to move at the normal 90* from the wind direction. There were no mention of numbers though they did say that the Sears Tower only moves 6" due to it's design using an Exoskeleton to mitigate the wind. The said the Exoskeleton Design was the way to combat the winds until the Dubai tower.

What Impressed me was them still pumping concrete to 470+ meters, the 155th floor level and still going up.

unclesyd -

To minimize the construction problems, I would be more comfortable with aggregate storage, batching, mixing and storage at inermediate level(s).

I don't know what to do about prewetting the lightweight aggregate, but that could be pumped up to the storage to increase the moisture content/saturation at the same time before batching.

Dick

unclesyd,

Folks joined the Mile High Club back in the 1960's all the time without leaving the ground...all with a little help from Timothy Leary.

concretemasonry,
In the show they were pumping directly to the 155 floor. Concrete is only pumped poured at night. The commentator mentioned that it took 45 minutes for concrete to reach that level. He did mention that the mix was adjusted for pumping to the required height.

JAE,
The trip was alright but the landing was as in the parlance of a helicopter pilot "hard". Didn't take any trips but was around for few of the landings. I'll take stepping off an elevator on to carpeted landing any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back