Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

military spec cad models! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

var10

Mechanical
Apr 4, 2013
IN
I am trying to clean up my design library and we mainly use MS series fasteners. I have tried a few websites from which I usually download my fasteners models (also googled no luck). Does any one have any idea on where to download these mil spec fasteners or atleast one website from which I can get specification and I could make my own (google is frustrating because it comes up with all the suppliers and spreadsheets what they have).
Any other info on MS fasteners will also be great (advice and suggestions as I've never dealt with them before).

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would think your fastener supplier(s) would have a personal interest in helping engineering to obtain 3D models of their products. Ask them for help.

Maybe I am mistaken, but isn't the geometry of a Mil-Spec fastener exactly the same as a non-MS fastener. The differences are more in the plating, material, hardness, testing qualifications, quality assurance levels ... So, from a strictly CAD standpoint, wouldn't a regular 10-32 x 1/2" PHMS be the exact same CAD model as it's MS counterpart? You would just need to input different properties for what you care about and what makes it different.

McMaster-Carr is my go-to source for CAD files for most stock parts. Check their website for what you need if you haven't already.

-Lou

Thanks for your responses. We don't have toolbox and thus thats crossed on my list. I am not sure if ANSI inch and MS are the same, I am just making the shift. I only have worked with metric and they are very straight forward.

As i realised that if I make a library of ms parts it will come out to be very handy. I did find many websites with tech sheets, the problem is that there are too many of these MS fasteners and I wouldn't know what I need till the design stage as I am in R & D as well as production, hence if I just had the 3d files I can use it in my assembly quickly and check if it works or not.

McMaster-Carr - "To protect product information, we limit search activities on our web site. Your use exceeds typical patterns of our visitors, so we have restricted access." is the message I get. Anyway to get around this?

The problem is that if I want to use a fastener which fits a hole 3.2mm with threads I have to find which MSXXXXX will suit my job through research (there area too many and can never find info easily). I am open for any suggestions or ideas from experts that have used ms.

Thanks

Toolbox is included with SWX Professional and Premium, but not in SWX Standard.

You might find some of what you are looking for already configured through 3D Content Central. If not, fasteners are one of the more easily configured items. Just make a good initial model then load a design table with all the different configurations for size and length. Since you have a bunch of data sheets you have the basic information needed.

- - -Updraft

Thanks Updraft. Sure, that's exactly what I am doing. I just thought it will be really cool if someone had uploaded file with all standard fasteners on the web. So that the less fortunate ones who cannot afford toolbox can grab it.
I have been using 3d cc so far and some on my own. I will probably put all my collections up for everyone once I have finished collecting the basic ones.

Mcmaster-carr is very good except no config available which means I have to make the design table and other things necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back