Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Military to Electronics engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

RN64

Electrical
Nov 13, 2011
US
My name is Ryan, I'm 17, and I'm currently in the Marine Corps' DEP (delayed entry program). I have a contract for M.O.S 267x, cryptologic linguist. This is an intelligence-type job, and requires a top secret security clearence. Obviously, this job does not exactly translate hand-in-hand to a career in electronics engineering, which I plan on getting my B.A in, so my question is: would being a former Marine, bilangual, and in possession of a TS/SCI security clearance, as well as a B.A in electronics engineering hold any sway in an interview (especially with a defense industry contractor)? Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You will have the makings of a damn impressive resume, if that plan happens.

Chances are, your life will go differently than you plan, in ways that no one can predict. Expect, and accept, whatever surprises come your way.

Good luck.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

If you move up here to the D.C. area, you'll have a boatload of jobs to interview for... TS/SCI jobs are a dime a dozen.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Just bear in mind that a TS/SCI clearance is only of use in less than 10% of all possible EE jobs. A TS/SCI certainly won't hurt for a defense contracting job, but it's a bit of an overkill, since most engineering tasks are generally no higher than Secret or Special Access. Few engineering jobs require TS clearances.

TTFN

FAQ731-376
Chinese prisoner wins Nobel Peace Prize

Depends upon your side of EE, I suppose... I do embedded firmware, and a solid 50% of the jobs posted in the area list TS/SCI as a requirement (usually it should be active). It's unfortunate, because the chances of me getting a clearance at this point in my career are slim unless I get into one of those jobs... and few want me in those jobs at my level unless I have a clearance. Catch-22...

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Yes - the skill set you described will "hold sway" in an interview. The thing to note though is it will only be of a great benefit in "some" interviews. Outside of the DoD world and it's contractors no one will give most of the skills you described a second look.

On the bright side, the intel and electronics side of the house is big buisness now and is projected to be in the near and longer term future. With many govt. contractors, you can come in with OJT that you described without a degree and you will still get the title of "engineer" and a nice salary.

A few govt. contractors to consider when you get out are: Boeing, Lockheed, BAE, Stanley, SAIC, AAI, Booze Allen Hamilton, General Dynamics, etc. etc. etc.

I could go on but you get the point. Good luck.

Dan,

That sounds very different. We, and other similar military contractors ,likewise have lots of embedded firmware, none of which is even remotely TS. Even the stuff that flies for TS applications only require S clearances for the engineers. In fact, we can some current TS applications, and the hardware and its design isn't even classified.

TTFN

FAQ731-376
Chinese prisoner wins Nobel Peace Prize

Sounds like a good plan that will definately help you stand out in a crowd. I'd go reserves though so you can goto school while in the military. A lot happens to a person who goes on active duty for several years and you will not be able to goto school while on active duty in the Marines.

How long does the clearance last after you leave the service and conduct your degree, or will you keep it active being in the reserves or something? Or can it be reactivated. Been a while since I looked into this but I thought there were limitations.

Supposedly, a warm body with an existing clearance can walk into a job on the local base.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Yes you might not be able to go to school full time but dont forget you can taken core classes (English, Maths, physics, Chemistry, Art) while you are on active duty. This way you can cut off a year or two of school before you get out of the Marines.

When I was in I took classes with Uni of Maryland on base. CTC was also on base. Register with them before you get in (let the recuiter do all the work) save yourself the headache.

More than likely, you would be working with some government contractors. Stick with them. Learn from them (that would probably be you job when you get out). You would also learn which field you would like to pursue. Once you are getting close to ETS. If you like your duty station seek a position with them.

I could say more but I hope this enough. get

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back