Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Milk concentration

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty77

Chemical
Feb 2, 2003
AU
We have been asked to design an RO system for concentration of whole milk from 12 to 18% solids using RO. Design data for membranes concentrating milk is limited. Can anybody advise necessary pressures required, and typical permeate fluxes achieved when processing milk. Also any info on the type of pump used ( PD, multistage cetrif) would be useful as would any general tip or tricks in designing a milk concentration system.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi..

I advise you to run some pilot tests and keep pursuing some data from scientific magazines as for example...Food Engineering...o Journal of Membrane Science.
Usually.....multistage centrifugal pumps are applied for this kind of process.
I believe this is not a big deal...there are some systems running in Europe for this application.

Good Lucky!!!

Thanks Shanzon for the links, whilst good general background info we are after specifics in terms of osmotic pressures etc.

Membrane suppliers have not been able to assist to date.

Are you sure this is a reverse osmosis (RO) application?

It sounds more like ultrafiltration (UF) to me. Have you contacted any manufacturers of hollow fiber or tubular UF membranes or systems? I know that UF has been used for many years in the dairy industry for pre-concentration of milk proteins used in the manufacturing of cheese and a variety of dairy products. The Romicon division of Rohm & Haas once had exclusive rights to this market, but I believe Rohm & Haas has sold this division to Koch's membrane division (Wilmington, DE).

S. Bush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back