Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mill Spec & Other Certs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan9

Automotive
Mar 5, 2001
US
I recieved some sheet metal from a different supplier and it is quite different from what we have had in the past. I was curious as to the grade/quality and haven't found any specs. If anyone knows how to research the specs, Please e-mail me or reply.

I am slightly new to the metal world and did not know what AMS or NOM stood for. Any ideas?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

AMS stands for Aeospace Material Specification. They are published and maintained by SAE. you can get to the ASM specs by followin the links on their homepage.
I'm guessing you understand that the specification is included in the mill marks inked onto your sheet.
good luck

Thanks for the response detrh3, I checked out the website, but couldn't pull anything up on what I have. I ordered 4130 Condition A .125 sheet metal, a 3'x6' piece. I was told the Mill specs were AMS 6350H 2301G ASTM A506. It is a hot rolled piece and I am looking to find out what the Rockwell B should be and also the Ulitmate and Yeilding strengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back