Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mill Test Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRTOOKIE32

Industrial
May 19, 2009
US
Ok ive been working at this company for about a year now and every MTR is located in a filing cabinet which has 10,000 MTR's in it, most are logged in numerical order but the few that are not ,takes hours of searching to find 1 MTR .is there a program out there that will help me simplify this process?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know exactly how it is set up but all our MTRs even going back to the old form 20's have been scanned and put on disc and are also on our internal network. You can search by any number of ways. The hard copies are still kept as part of the code package for each equipment piece on site and are under engineering (Drafting and Design) supervision.
All material received on site that requires an MTR has the paper work verified by the inspection group before it is pickup on inventory.

As I understand it there are companies that will come in and scan all your paper work and setup some type of retrieval system.

Most organizations file by purchase order number. We also place a sticker on each MTR stating in lay terms what the material was used for, i.e. 2" 600# RFLWN - Temperature Indicator Nozzle.

While each MTR will state what the component is, if you have say (12) 2" 600# RFLWN's on a vessel you could run into confusion, by placing your own identifier on the MTR, you can easily search for the MTR for a given vessel component.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back