Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Milling Flat on 52100 Bearing Steel (induction hardened) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandrill22

Mechanical
Jul 30, 2010
US
Would I be able to Mill a flat on a 52100 Bearing Steel (induction hardened) shaft? I only have an old mill-lathe combo. If I could, what kind of cutter would I need? The shaft is 8mm OD and the flat is about 1.5mm deep. The shaft is linked below.
Link

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can, it's not great but it can be done. I've milled a flat on a bearing ball using a full carbide end mill. You have to be very careful with your feed rate and accept that it might kill the cutting tool.

Grinding would absolutely be more suited for this application if you can find equipment or help. 52100 fully hardened is easily over 60 HRC and as such very difficult to machine.

Thanks! OK, alternate scenario. How would I cut the same part down the middle (i.e. in the radial direction, taking one long part and cutting it into two shorter parts)? Would an angle grinder do it?

Depends on how accurate you want. An angle grinder will absolutely do it with an appropriate abrasive cutting wheel. The accuracy will be limited to your manual operation though.

@AidanMc this gives me an idea. Would I be able to drill and tap the backside of the part after "halving" it? I would be using the same mill. The shaft is 8mm OD and the hole would be M4. I'm not sure how hard an induction hardened, bearing steel part is in the center. I know case hardening is typically 1.5mm "thick", but not sure if this would be similar.

Do you know anybody with a liquid cooled cutoff saw? We have one in our heat treat area and can cut up parts that are 60 HRc easily. I think 52100 is usually fully hardened and you would not be able to drill and tap the center.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back