Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Milling internal profile and flat face with same mill 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

memberengt

Mechanical
Jul 16, 2012
GB
Thank you for entering in my post

I'm using this 80mm mill on the picture below to do an unusual roughing out on an internal profile on cast iron, along Z axis, machining from the top to the bottom leaving an undulate surface.
The reason why we are using this method is because the machine is not powerful enough and if we use a normal profile mill the machine stops

Could I do with this mill also a milling on a flat face?

any suggestion according this matter will be very appreciated

Thank you in advance for your help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That's not a center-cutting tool, so you can't use it for plunge cutting. Maybe you could orbit it and plunge. So, I don't understand what you are doing now.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Thank you so much Mike,

“That's not a center-cutting tool, so you can't use it for plunge cutting. Maybe you could orbit it and plunge.

May you please tell me what does plunge cutting mean?
What do you mean by “orbit it and plunge”

“So, I don't understand what you are doing now”

I'm machining an engine case which is upsidedown
We are doing roughing out on the faces and profiles to fit the caps for the bearing for the crank

We are using the tool on the picture to do the roughing on the 2 internal (vertical) sides (read above about how)
Instead to do the roughing out on the cap faces we are using a different tool (125mm facemill)

We are machining cast-iron

My question is:
Could we have a similar tool to do roughing out on the 2 profiles (keeping the same method that is: along Z axis from the top to the bottom leaving an undulate surface) and roughing out on the cap faces?

In simple words: Could we do this 2 operation with the same tool?

Thank you again Mike for your help

The third (Z) axis on a traditional knee mill with CNC corresponds to the quill feed on a manual machine. Things like die cavities can be roughed out by moving the table to an array of locations, then feeding the cutter like a twist drill at each location. The technique can improve the metal removal rate of a light duty or worn machine. That's sort of what I thought your first message was talking about. The cutter you depicted is not suitable for that sort of work, so I was confused. ... and still am.

Perhaps it would be helpful to provide a view of the workpiece.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Thank you very much Mike

you may see here attached a view of the work piece exactly how it gets off from the machine in question:

you can see the surface of the cap faces is finished instead the profile is still rough, and this roughing out has been done by the method mentioned above and you can see the undulate surface left by this 80mm mil which machined the piece from the top to the bottom

you've just said we can't do with this tool also the roughing out on cap faces

so my question is:
Could we make a similar tool to do the roughing out on the profile with the same system (mentioned above) and also a roughing out on the cup faces rather that using 2 tools?

thank you very much again for your help

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=188a06bd-7d01-4813-9708-5a7a3da31d5b&file=finich_cap_face,_rough_profile_.jpg
You want to do the two cuts with one tool is what I think your saying , so why dont you try it ? The vertical cut is a roughing cut so your feeds need slowing down considerably to produce a good finish , how many engine blocks do you have to machine?
What machine are you using

This is all I got from your link:

Duplicate headers received from server
The response from the server contained duplicate headers. This problem is generally the result of a misconfigured website or proxy. Only the website or proxy administrator can fix this issue.
Error 349 (net::ERR_RESPONSE_HEADERS_MULTIPLE_CONTENT_DISPOSITION): Multiple distinct Content-Disposition headers received. This is disallowed to protect against HTTP response splitting attacks.

This may be a E-T problem: I am notifying management.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I hope they will fix it soon

however I've just tried and from my pc it works I opened the file with Paint

thank you so much Mike for your availability

The problem I had was because of extra paranoia from Google Chrome.
Firefox got the file just fine.

It looks to me like you could face the cap faying surfaces with the same tool you are using to rough out the block side faces. ... but you couldn't generate the nice radius between them with the inserts you are using.

Frankly, that's not the first tool I'd pick for either job. ... but I know nothing of your methods and practices, the machining sequences for your workpiece, the tolerances you are trying to achieve, or the limitations of your spindles, so I can't be of much more help.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Thank you so much Mike

“the machining sequences for your workpiece,”
we rough out the block side faces first and then with a 125mm facemill we face the cap faying surfaces

“the tolerances you are trying to achieve”
We are taliking about roughing-out so there are no tolerances

“or the limitations of your spindles”
I can't say exactly the limitations of my spindles, however I know that they tried long time ago to rough out the block side faces with a normal profile mill and the machine stopped as it didn't have enough power, but the machine which they used to use before, do to the same operation, was 3 times bigger than thisone thus I don't understand why they changed the system without trying a smaller profile mill

“Frankly, that's not the first tool I'd pick for either job”
Which kind of tool would you use?

I was also thinking about a normal 80mm mill which would be able to do both the operation profile (maching longitudinaly) and facing, however the reason why I wanted to keep this 80mm mill on the picture is to not change the program, that is keeping the same system of roughing out through the Z axis

please show me a tool which you think can be appropriate to do both the operation and I will tell you my opinion about your choice

Thank you very much Mike for your help

You wont be able to do this process with one tool you will as mikehalloran says cut into the radius at the base thus weakining the cast ....you must have a final size for the vertical face and surface finish standard ? its not left as a rough cut ?

Thank you hydromarine

“you will as mikehalloran says cut into the radius at the base thus weakining the cast“

sorry but I don't understand what you say here, may please explain better (this is because of my very bad english)...

“you must have a final size for the vertical face and surface finish standard ? its not left as a rough cut ?”

perhaps you are talking about the depth between the very top of the piece and the finished part of the cap-face, if I understood well, yes we have a final size there and we do the finishing cut with a different tool
to generate that nice radius between them to which mike was referring to ...

thank you again hydromarine

memberengt

Suggest you look at the Sandvik web site for range of cutters

If you machine down vertically on the vertical face you will machine out the radius at the base shown in your photograph, so you have to reposition your cutter for the horizontal face . The type of cutter I believe you are using is not going to provide a suitable finish on the vetical face , depth of vertical face looks like a problem , thus stability in the toolholder.perhaps you will have to turn the casting to cut this face horizotally ?

The finished dimension I am talking of is the opposing or opposite vertical web face

For this machining process you require substantial(heavy) tooling, workholding, and a reputable machine for good results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back