Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Milling time in CS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimboux

Mechanical
Oct 3, 2011
US
Hi,

I'm looking to come up with a machining time estimate to mill some CS Plate (A516-70). I need to face/shoulder mill off a "1/4 moon" shape of about 104 sq. in. by 1" deep. The only shoulder milling is around a 5" radius for about 270 degrees. The rest is all face mill. If it make it easier for estimating, it the equivalent to a diameter of 11.5" fully milled down 1". This would be done on an Okuma Milliac 561V, I'm not sure of the cutter type but I think it's Sandvik Coromill 390, exact tooling is unknown. I'm not looking for an exact time, just one that will let me know if someone is blowing smoke. Thanks much.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sandvik can probably give you a Metal Removal Rate in volume per unit time for a given insert cutting a given alloy, or at least starting parameters.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Hmmmn. Show a sketch of the "half-moon" - and pay particular attention to the corner details and fillets and edges. You may find you'll spend a significant amount of time lost trying to do "the last 5%" of the job. Or, by getting a cutter and insert with the proper radius in the first tool, you'll see that extra time vanish.

Thanks - I used Mike's suggestion and talked to Sandvik. We have to get a new tool and inserts but the time is down to 16 minutes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back