Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mimic Weld Seam/Splice

Status
Not open for further replies.

sloth4z

Mechanical
Aug 12, 2003
US
I am trying to mimic the splicing of a flat piece of metal in COSMOS. Is the a standard for this type of study? They are going to weld the two pieces together and then grind it smooth to make it look solid. Does anyone have an example of this type of analysis?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't have an example but a couple of thoughts come to mind. Are you specifically interested in the stresses on or in the weld? Normally you would only be interested in the stresses in the parts and not the joints. Many times bolts aren't modeled for example. I don't know what the rest of the structure looks like but you may not need to in order to get an answer. You could apply remote loads to the model to get the answer.

If you need to get to the stresses in the weld you may be able to handle this by creating an assembly that includes a model of the weld. Once again if the model is complex remote loads and boundry conditions can help, otherwise this will get tedious and the model will get very large. This way you can even choose different weld and parent material. This may be oversimplifying the problem but sometimes it helps to run some very simple models first to get some idea on how to handle the real case. It also helps to have done some hand calculations for a sanity check on the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back