Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Min Wall pipe bevel "C" Dimension 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahar

Mechanical
Oct 16, 2003
US
When calculating the "C" dim using B16.25 it talks about nominal pipe only and the formula listed is C=A-.031-1.75t-.01(in.). However, I have found that PFI also gives the same formula for nominal pipe but has also given a formula for min. wall pipe (A335, A106,A312) as C-A-.041-2tm (in.) This seems to be correct for min wall pipe. Can anyone help me here?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The information is all there in B16.25. Under Section 4;

EQ 1: C = A - OD tolerance - 2 X Tmin – 0.010 (US customary units)

A = specified outside pipe diameter at welding prep
OD tolerance = under tolerance on the pipe OD from the applicable pipe specification

Tmin = thickness - manufacturing tolerance for pipe wall thickness based on applicable pipe specification

0.010 = plus machining tolerance on Bore C dimension

Based on tolerances specific to ASTM A106, A335 pipe;

EQ 2: C = A - 0.031 - 2 X 0.875 Tmin - 0.010 (US customary units)

The difference between these equations is that equation (2) accounts for pipe tolerance specific to the referenced ASTM Pipe Specifications with an under-tolerance of 12.5% on wall thickness.

Thanks Meteng,

I'm looking at the ASME B16.25-1997 version and Section 4 only has one equation. Are you looking at a later edition that shows eq.1 & eq.2 you have shown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back