Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mini Wind Power Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

jliu1

Electrical
Jul 12, 2002
US
I am currently looking for a mini wind power generator, which should be at the level of 10W or less. This will be used as power source for railway control signal at a freight train. The client does not like the idea of installing a battery. So I am wondering that anybody can tell me where to find such manufacturers, if any. Thanks a lot for your input.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Combining a wind turbine with a small solar panel is considered a much better source of energy because usually the wind is blowing during rain storms. You can use the solar charge controller to control both power frommthe sun and wind going into your storage battery.

You can get solar charge controllers from Blue Sky Energy and there is a vendor out there for alternators for charging 24 volt and 32 volt batteries. If you have a 24 volt battery you would want to use an alternator for a 32 volt battery to feed the charge controller. Alternators ass-ume that they can equalize the battery all of the time meaning that they have a fixed output voltage that will charge the h#!! out of the battery in a wind power application. A solar charge controller will do 3 stage charging and only do an equalizing charge 2 hours a month. Blue Sky's charge controllers use the buck converter configuration to knock down the solar array or wind turbine voltage to what the battery really needs. You can also hook up an ammeter shunt that allows the charge controller to sense net current throught the battery. The charge controller also typically has output current greater than input current and operates a solar array at the maximum power transfer point.

I take it that getting utility power to this location is a pain in a cetain body part and that the railroad is changing a rechargeable battery at least once a week.

Some other railroads have been using solar power for quite a few decades. If a signal only needs a few watts after refitting with a light emitting diodes the minimum charge for a commercial electrical service can exceed what a solar power system costs. The payback is even better when utility power is not available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back