Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Minimise heat loss during internal insulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajat84

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2007
GB
Hey,

We are vessel fabricators and have the vessel made of carbon steel. Customer wants internal insulation rather the external.

Because of the grid supports being welded directly to the vessel, (as shown in the attached figure), there will be heat loss through grid support.

Is there any way of minimising the heat loss ?

One way which I could think of was to use 'thin stainless steel supports' and weld them to c/stl vessel. Again with PWHT and sigma phase, customer is not willing to go with
st. stl and do not want external supports.

I am stuck and would be happy if anybody can advise or had similar problem on vessel. :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Use the tray supports as insulation supports, isn't that obvious?
gr2vessels

Thanks GR2VESSELS, but I am new in the area of insulation.

I mean using tray, can there be heat passing through trays ?

The only heat loss is through the existing tray/grid supports, as your schematic shows. I assume that was accounted for in the original column design.
Now, check first the weight of the selected insulation, then work out the load on the supports, design and fabricate an insulation supporting structure, drill the new holes, bolt on the internal insulation panels, close the column, go to the control room and press the start button. Simple.
cheers,
gr23vessels
PS. This internal insulation sounds to me very similar to the elbow grease...

Sorry for asking perhaps a dumb question but what is this internal insulation business? I've never seen "internal insulation" before. I've seen "internal insulation" as castable refractory or brick lining which will "insulate" for cold wall design. Is this what you guys are talking about?
If it is, the sulfuric acid converter towers I've worked on long ago used a brick lined lining with built up/moulded brick tray supports. Alternatively, you could lined your steel tray support with refractory to insulate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back