Minimum distance between buried pipes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cronos_2P

Mechanical
Jul 1, 2019
BO
Hello everyone.

I have a question regarding the minimum separation between two buried hydrocarbon steel pipes. Are there any recommendations or restrictions in any standard (ASME, API or other) regarding the minimum distance between two or more buried pipes? If so, in which standard can I find this information.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That 12" would be the very minimum clear distance between an oil pipeline and any foreign object. So using that, obviously you would not be interested in spacing them farther apart to minimize potential damage to both should one burst and you would be forced to do a lot of expensive hand excavation work.

“What I told you was true ... from a certain point of view.” - Obi-Wan Kenobi, "Return of the Jedi"

See this.

Plenty of advice. I personally go for 150 mm or 1D of the larger pipe.

No or very few code restrictions.

Many companies have their own advice in their design codes equally just based on personal opinion.

In a bundle they are next to each other (5mm)

Collateral damage issues in large has pipes might put you at 5m or more.

Hence is all about your specific design and the code writers know that. Far too many possible permutations.

Do you have a particular case in mind you want to share?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Thank you very much everyone for the responses.

As for LittleInch's question, the doubt has arisen when I saw on the plan of a pumping station that it has a truck loading area. In the installation there are two parallel 3 "pipes through which ethanol circulates, this are buried 1m deep and 12" separation betwen them (wall to wall). These same pipes intersect at a point in which the vertical separation that exists between their external walls is likewise 12 ", at that same point apart from the pipes of ethanol it also crosses a gasoline drainage pipe of 3/4 ", the latter has a vertical separation with the 3" of 100 mm pipe. It was then that I asked myself if there was any recommendation for these cases.
I have searched a bit and in ASME B31.4 Ed. 2012, section 434.6c states:
Location of underground structures intersecting the ditch route shall be determined in advance of construction activities to prevent damage to such structures.
A minimum clearance of 12 in. (300 mm) shall be provided between the outside of any buried pipe or component and the extremity of any other underground structures, except for drainage tile, which shall have a minimum clearance of 2 in. (50 mm). Where impractical and where adequate provisions for corrosion control have been made, the minimum clearance of 12 in (300 mm) may be reduced.

However in the 2016 Edition, the paragraph that mentions the distances has been removed.

Those don't pipes probably are not pipelines by definition stated in the scope of B31.4, so technically B31.4 would not apply to any of them, although it could be taken as a useful recommendation. Maybe you should have a look at B31.3 latest and see if they have added anything about minimum distances. I think not, but I don't know for sure.

“What I told you was true ... from a certain point of view.” - Obi-Wan Kenobi, "Return of the Jedi"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back