Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Minimum pipeline fluid velocity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingboru

Mechanical
Aug 28, 2009
US
I have been looking for a reference that I had found in a technical article some time around the first of the year. This article had commented that fluid velocities that are kept above 3 m/s will minimize MIC in pipelines. Would anyone know where I may have found this. I have searched for several days and I am unable to uncover my source.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Fluid velocities above 3 m/s might also subject your system to unwanted waterhammer pressures, or subject your pipe wall to increased erosion of thickness over time, so be carefull with arbritrarily setting such high minimum velocities. 3 m/s is a rule of thumb maximum velocity for long pipelines, 3 ft/s being the rule of thumb minimum.

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back