Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

minimum size of drilled shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have a bit for my drill that is 1/8" diameter.

(sorry)

For drilled piers or auger cast piling, micro piling, etc. the minimum size probably depends upon what is available from your local drillers.

Well drillers can go to 4" I think.

Auger cast piling - have seen them at 12" diameter. But again - just check with the local drillers to see what they can offer.

Based on my experience it is 18", but I even heard that contractors don't like them this small. We recently changed all our 18" shafts on a job to 24" just based on a contractor's recommendation on constructibility.

When dealing with expansive soils, smaller is better, to reduce the uplift forces of the shaft side.
In Colorado I have seen thousand of residential projects with shafts of 8", 10" and 12". A lot of care is needed to construct these.

In cases where the shaft is resting on rock, a downhole inspection is sometimes required. On these occasions it is good to be a large person.

30" min, 36" for the larger people. Reference FHWA - Drilled Shafts.

According to FHWA it can be as small as 12" but length should be limited to 8 to 10 feet. However, the document did not specify that a drill shaft cannot be less than 12". However, as a matter a practicality, I don't think it will be smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back