Minimum Thk for butt weld 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARUN SIVAN

Mechanical
Oct 8, 2019
IN
Hi,
When we can go for socket weld instead of butt weld and which code i can refer for minimum thk for butt weld .

Regards,
ARUN (Piping Engineer)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Arun,
Your question does not make sense.
You can Socket Weld both thick and thin wall pipe it depends on which type of fittings you purchase.
And, you can Butt Weld pipe and fittings of thick wall pipe or very thin wall pipe and fittings.
It all depends on what you spec and buy. What you spec and buy depends on your service (the commodity, the design pressure and design temperature).
So, Why are you asking this question?

Sometimes its possible to do all the right things and still get bad results

The industry standard is the diameter of pipe, not thickness, that dictates the use of socket welded joints.

Pipe that is NPS 2 or less is commonly socket welded.

The devil is in the details; she also wears prada.

It depends on the piping code of the system. The piping codes are rules on when SW can be used and how thick the welds need to be.

pennpiper (Mechanical)

Yes, I agreed we can do both thin and thick wall pipe in socket weld. But how we can make bevel end in thin pipes for butt weld . In that cases only we go for socket weld.My question is min thk for butt weld.

Arun
If you are a "qualified" Piping Engineer you should not be asking this question.
Read the responses from pennpiper, DVWE and KevinNZ.
The code/standard you are working to dictates what you can and cannot do.
I have previously welded 1.6 mm WT in a "butt weld" configuration but that was because the code I was working to allowed that.
Regards,
Shane

ARUN SIVAN,

I'm not sure where you are from, but perhaps you should get a copy of ASME B16.25 "Buttwelding Ends". It would probably help you answer some of your questions. See below for a short excerpt.

Capture_if3v6b.jpg

"The only limits in life are those which we impose upon ourselves."

I watch our customers butt weld 2" x 0.028" tubing regularly, because their code allows it.
It is all about following the rules.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

The smallest butt weld thickness that we qualified was 0.030" only because that was the thinnest thickness that was specified under the Engineering design per the applicable Code and this was a manually made weld (by extremely talented welders). I have seen butt welds made in much thinner tubing with automated equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back