Minimun Thickness of an Unfired Steam Boiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

NilsonC

Mechanical
Mar 5, 2018
BR
Hello mates,

I'm a Brazilian engineer, and I'm struggling with the minimum thickness of an unfired steam.
Let me inlight about the subject first: I work in a company that produces autoclaves for hospital use. In this autoclave, we have 1 pressure vessel, where sterilization occurs, and 1 unfired steam boiler.
There is a statement about it at ASME code UG-16(b)(3), where it says the minimum thickness shall be 1/4 in (6mm).
However, we're talking about a small boiler, with 54 Litters, that produces 10kg per hour of steam. Using electric resistance.
And through my calculations, the minimum thickness really needed is less than 1mm.

What should I do? Use 6mm no matter the size of my boiler or can I include this boiler in another category?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NilsonC,
The design of your boiler shall be in accordance with ASME BPVC 1, Part PMB for miniature boilers (less than 150 l capacity). The shell thickness shall be in accordance with Section PMB-5.2 of this code, which specifies minimum 3/16" pipe wall thickness or 1/4" plate thickness. Note that you have to comply with all the referenced sections of ASME SEc.1, Part PEB for electric boilers.
Don't forget to comply also with the requirements of Brazilian BPVC NR13 with reference to the boiler safety.
Cheers,
gr2vessels

NilsonC, I don't know whether or not this class of work is exempt from ASME (or other) Codes or not, but I would ask, "How has your company BEEN doing this?"

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

SnTMan,

Thank you for replying.
We're using simulation to calculate the thickness needed. But I want to learn how to calculate this using ASME.

Regards,

Nilson.

NilsonC, all well and good. Now, if you were going to U-Stamp your boiler, you would likely be bound by UG-16 minimums. If not, likely not.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back