Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Mining settlement ponds

Status
Not open for further replies.

HvZ

Civil/Environmental
Apr 18, 2002
AU
I am looking at the design of settlement ponds for the removal of Silt, clay and sand particals from surface water collocted from the floor of an open cast limestone quarry.

How can i determine the amount of these particals in the water.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hendrie,
I would think that you could determine the suspended solids using a hydrometer to read the density. Before you can discharge the water, you will have to address turbidity, ph, and suspended solids.
pigdog

Thanx pigdog

Since the quarry is only in its planning phase and the initial design of the ponds are being done, i cannot analyse runoff from the quarry as it is not there yet. Where if any can i get guidance on what amount or values to allow for

Go to another quarry near the site and get some of the rock from them. Use this to determine the hardness and relative pH. when you are at the quarry, scoop up two or three buckets of the crushed waste. Try to get a typical sample from the roadway and where ever else that would contribute to the runoff. Do some lab. tests to see what particle sizes you have and a time forthem to settle out. this will give yoou a good start. check normal rianfall data for your area. So you can estimate the average storm event runoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back