Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Minor Asphalt Repair Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Differcult

Civil/Environmental
Feb 3, 2009
US
Looking for a solution to repair (mainly cosmetic) areas of asphalt that have been scratched or indented by snow plows, loading and unloading of equipment and other causes. Typically they are less than 1" deep and 2" wide, but can run for some length.

Residents are wanting these "repairs" as they have recently been assessed large amounts for new streets and utilities.

Any thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Rent or buy a roofing torch. Buy bags of "cold patch" asphalt. Buy a hand tamper or rent a plate compactor.

Clean the asphalt area with a stiff broom. Blow off with a blower. Heat the area lightly with the torch. Spray a coating of solvent based asphalt tack coat. You can probably get some from a local asphalt plant. You'll probably only need about a gallon of it for everything. You are spraying a very light coating. Place loose asphalt to a thickness about 1/2" thicker than the repair depth. Heat lightly with torch to soften the "cold patch" material. Immediately compact to flush with existing surface. With stiff broom, sweep away extra and loose remaining asphalt. Hit with torch again and final compact the area.

IR heaters and compaction will probably not work for gouges in the pavement.

"...Spray a coating of solvent based asphalt tack coat..." I did know that you could still buy that type of product. The type that we used was water based that is asphaltic emulsion.

Ron,

Interesting idea about using a torch on cold patch. I don't suppose you want to come over and help me patch the driveway? I'm only 14 hours away. [lol]

I'll buy you a beer afterwards. [cheers]

Hey BB....almost anything for beer!![cheers] I have a roofing torch left over from my days as a roofer! It works great on cold patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back