Minor losses in a cooling circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lepetit

Mechanical
Jan 30, 2012
DE
Hello all,

I am doing the calculation of a cooling system for a cryogenic magnet.

I would like to ask where can I find different values for the minor losses. I have already found some values for standard angles as 45deg or 90deg as well as for normal tees and wyes (45deg). Is it possible to find these values for 60º? In the worst case I have thought in calculate them by hand, but the only way I know is using the head losses formula, and I don't know yet all the parameter I cannot do it. is there another way system to calculate by hand?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For 60[sup]o[/sup], interpolate between 45[sup]o[/sup] and 90[sup]o[/sup].

Good luck,
Latexman

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

as Latexman has said interpolate, as all friction factors/values are an bit airy-fairy anyway and are only an estimation. The final proof of all friction loss calculations is when you pump on the system.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

While application makes me shudder a little, at least a little more info on size and specific design etc. of fitting might get more tailored response. [For whatever it is worth in the meantime, Haestad/Bentley's book "Advanced Water Distribution Modeling and Management" gives a minor loss coefficient/K sub el value of 0.35 for a "Mitered" 60 degree bend (I have a sneaking suspicion that is probably not what you're dealing with, but if you have reasonably smooth-radiused bends I thus don't think you'll get much initial/additional head loss at least per fitting)].

Thank you all,

I will take a look in the book.

@rconner: Sorry I can't give you more info but we are trying several setups so it's not yet well fixed.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back