Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mirror Part - Copy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmcchesney

Mechanical
May 14, 2003
US
I need to create a new part that is similar to a part that I have made in the past only the opposite hand (mirrored) and some of the feature sizes are different. It would save me a ton of time if I could use Mirror Part, but that gives me a derived part with all the external reference baggage and I can’t edit the features independent of the original. There is no functional relationship between the old and new parts so having them tied together by external references makes no sense.

I guess what I’m looking for is a Mirror Part –Copy option similar to Save As –Copy. Is there a way to do this, or is it enhancement request time?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How about making two configuration on the original part instead of making copy?

I believe this is easier when some changes need to be done in a future.

When you make a mirrored part, you just select right configuration.

LoveAeris

I had considered that approach, but it still maintains the external reference.

Top Down / In Context / Derived parts are great when they are part of a single cohesive design. But, if you just what to steal some geometry from an old part to manipulate into a new totally unrelated part…they can have their liabilities.

There is bookkeeping required to ensure that no one inadvertently deletes or edits the original part / configuration. It would be so much simpler if you could just copy the geometry and cut the apron strings.

So you have some in-contexted relationships with this old part you want to mirror?

Do you want one part or two separate parts?

For 1 part:
open the old part without the assembly open. and make 2 configs. Remake the entire side Note: you can copy the sketch that you made the other side with and use Modify sketch to manipulate it and orient it to the position you need

Then extrude it and do that through out every feature.

Once your done with that then under the configs you can suppress the features that make up one side and same goes for the other config.

If there are external references with one side and you copy the sketch. The copied sketch will not have the same relationship. If you want it too. You can add that later.

For 2 parts:
If you want a whole new part - Follow the same steps except paste the sketches in a new part.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP[wiggle][alien]
3DVision Technologies
faq731-376
When in doubt, always check the help

I should have done a better search of this forum. You guys came up with the solution a couple of weeks ago.

1.) Save As – Copy the old part to a new part
2.) Mirror all Solid Bodies
3.) Delete the original Solid Bodies

Whalaa…. I have my mirrored part. It has no external references that I have to keep track of, and I can edit all the features.

Thanks for you insight, then and now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back