Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mirror Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParaCAD

Mechanical
Jan 5, 2005
US
Can you mirror a part in solidworks and save that mirrored part as its own part? I believe this is a function that Pro/e is capable of. I've mirrored the part but only could save it as its own part but had to delete or hide the parent solid body. Is ther another way so the mirrored part can be independent?

Adam
Solidworks 2005 SP01.1
Windows 2000

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi ParaCAD,

There is a way to mirror a part then have it saved as a different name.

First you place the original part in an assembly (doesn't really matter where). Then you go "Insert", "Mirror Component". You will get a new properties window on the side. Select a mirror face (I usually select the plane inside the component), then the original component. Make sure the the check mark is checked in the "Components to mirror" box. Then hit the arrow (on the top). It will then prompt you for a file name and you can do that for the new part (and location too). Then click checkmark and you are done.

Keep in mind that your new mirrored part is linked to the original part. If you want to break the link, you can right mouse click on the mirrored component, then "List External References..." then "Break All". After you break the link, you will NOT be able to relink it.

Hopefully this is what you are looking for.

Allan Chun
SolidWorks 2005, CSWP

Can't you just select a plane in the part file and then Insert/Mirror Part.., to create the mirrored part? Without going through an assembly?

When we mirror a part, the part sure does appear, but did you check if the mates are mirrored too? I dont think so. You have to remate it anyways!

Mechanical Engineer

I wasn't worried about assy references or anything. Just wanted a quick way to create a new part opposite of the original.

If you were to mirror it in the part file i dont believe would you still be able make it independent.

Adam
Solidworks 2005 SP01.1
Windows 2000

Another way to make a mirror part independent is to save a copy or make a configuration, mirror the whole body and then use a 'Cut-Extrude' or 'Split' about a plane and consume the body that you don't want.

This method is a quick way to reverse the model while still maintaining editable geometry. I then cheat for drawing with the "same as except opposite hand" note.

If ya' ain't cheatin', ya' ain't tryin'.

Christopher Zona - Senior CAD Designer
Litens Automotive Partnership
Concord, Ontario

I've only used Solidworks for the past 2yrs (pro/e prior) and noticed that cheating is a regular occurrence in SW.

Thanks for all the input guys

Adam
Solidworks 2005 SP01.1
Windows 2000

SBaugh ,

If you read the first post, it says "Can you mirror a part in solidworks " So it says part!

Regards,
Srik

Mechanical Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back