Mirror subassemly problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NZMark

Mechanical
Nov 1, 2008
DE
Dear All,

I am having some problems with mirroring a sub-assembly (which contains sub-assemblies), and I don't know if I have a bug or a handling problem.

To try and avoid giving a full description, I just mention that the Preview looks perfect, and then when I click "Finish" some of the parts are invisible. I have tried many things to try and make it work (different Mirror options), to no avail.

Has anyone seen this before - i.e. Mirror Preview fine, final product with seemingly invisible sub-assembly components.

Many thanks, MT

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mark,

one thing springs to mind: do you have display configurations
in either the main or subassemblies? Configurations will
hide any new parts that is parts that were not present
when the config is created.

dy

Hi DY,

Many thanks - I checked that out, but it doesn't seem to be the problem.

After some tests (which I should have done before my first post - sorry), it seems the problem is related to having Part Copy's in the underlying Part files.

The component parts are imported from Step files, with a single Part Copy in the Pathfinder. In the mirrored file (*mir.par), I open it up and the Part Copy has an error that "A Design Body cannot be found in the source file... Change ... to Copy As Construction Body".

So, I tried another approach, by importing the Step file manually, selecting "Make Base Feature" in the options, and now everything seems to work.

The alternative withe the existing assemblies is to open all the underlying part files, and choose "Make Base Feature" for each Part Copy - which also seems to work.

Note that original files were created using a download "macro" from a website ( which creates the SE v20 parts automatically (but with Part Copy's).

So it looks like I should either instead import the Step files manually, selecting "Make Base Feature", or manually open all the sub-parts and apply this (the latter being a bit more laborious).

Any comments?

Many thanks again, MT

Marks,

step import is controlled by an .ini file (STEP3D.ini)
it will be modified to preserve the settings done. So
just do a .stp import and set at least 'make Base feature'
SE will now use that setting for any subsequent imports
of STEP file even with this is done through a macro. OK
there is a slight chance that the macro uses an .ini
of its own and just temporarily replaces the path
to the original one within the registry -- but it this
ssems quit unlikely.

The .ini file is contained within the SE's program folder
or look into C:\Documents and Settings\< uid> \Application Data\Unigraphics Solutions\Solid Edge\Version 20

you can see from the date which one is used. The important
line is this one:

Import Make Base Feature=On

dy

you probably needed to turn on the display surfaces. That is why you couldn't see those parts. The default has them turned off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back