Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing quantities from several structural steel shapes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImagineerGG

Structural
Jun 27, 2012
GR
Hi all,

come on, is this really happening now?

I am trying to find some quantities on structural steel shapes and there are nowhere...!

I cannot find:

- ri, re (internal and external) fillet radius on lips of L angles

- ri, re (internal and external) fillet radius on square and rectangular hollow sections

- ri, re (internal and external) fillet radius on lips of C and MC (standard and miscellaneous) channels

- the distance location where flange thinckness is defined on C and MC (standard and miscellaneous) channels

I would really appreciate any help..., thanks all

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try checking ASTM A6 for most of these dimensions. If they're specified anywhere, I think A6 would be the place. I don't have a copy at hand so I can't check for myself. You might also try calling a local steel fabricator.

As for the HSS radius, this is in ASTM A500 and A501. It's also mentioned in the AISC manual. (In the 13th edition, it is Table 1-27.)

Yeah, take a look at the ASTM's. Though I'm not sure that they'll have them either.

Just curious, why do you need these particular dimensions? The AISC steel manual gives k dimensions and such because that what engineers (and steel detailers) generally need.

I am trying to program the shapes of steel sections and I need ALL the appropriate dimensions to do that (lengths, arcs, fillets, etc...), its not just "detailing"... :)

If you are drawing in AutoCAD, there is a LISP routine that draws most structural shapes. It was originally written by Al Rogers in 1998 and called Al's Steel Mill. The original version was based on the shapes in the 9th edition of AISC and I added some later shapes to the data sets. It draws all the fillets for the toes of angles, channels, and WF's. Do a web search for Al's STEEL MILL.

I use it all the time to check anchor bolt clearances for base plates welded to AISC shapes. It also produces 3D solid shapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back