Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

misting on PET bottles- preform, mold or cleint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richardpduffy

Materials
Jun 26, 2017
GB
I am hoping this issues does not turn out to be a manufacture or mold issue but.. Not sure if anyone can help.i have an issue with a PET bottle reacting to a liquid. after filling a residue is forming on the bottle.this is always at the top of the bottle and forms about 24-36 hours after the bottle is filled.

my manufacturer is citing the liquid at fault due to faulty closure.with the liquid then resting on the bottle shoulder, drying and forming the residue.
my client is citing the bottles as the reaction is not happening on every bottle which you would imagine would be the case.

my question is what is likely to be causing the issue. PET bottles are made from a single material in a continuous run also adding to the argument if happening with one it would happen with all from a manufacturing point of view.

2017-06-26_13.21.12_1498479960216_resized_rykeaq.jpg
o all.

2017-06-26_13.20.36_1498479960629_resized_tnegw5.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

RichardpDuffy said:
my manufacturer is citing the liquid at fault due to faulty closure.with the liquid then resting on the bottle shoulder, drying and forming the residue.

Seems like this would be easy enough to prove/disprove... carefully fill a bottle so no liquid ever touches the shoulder, then let it sit for a few days.

Of course, that does not disprove any issues with liquid vapor causing issues with the bottle. To prove/disprove that portion, place a quantity of liquid in an inert glass container and hang an empty bottle above the liquid. If no discoloration, it's not vapor.

And so on and so on... plenty of easy tests that can be run to narrow the culprit.

Dan - Owner
URL]

thanks Dan. on the face of it seems easy but as this is not happening universally with all bottle it gives both sides of the argument traction.
i have done various tests to try and replicate the reaction including spray tests and using the liquid in various other PET manufacturers products.
i was trying to find out what would typically cause that type of reaction. if it was happening across the board it would be an easy one. i will try the vapor test so thanks for that. i will pop an update.

thanks

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back